Better data in 2024

My very personal initiative to be able to provide better data quality for the ECO score in the future, is the purchase of a household scale, so that from now on I will be able to always weigh the empty food packaging.

An investment of only € 14.99 that will be worth it (special offer :wink:), because the more reliable data the better, am I right?

3 Likes

Hi @Bartolomeu ! Really good idea :slight_smile: This is a bit time consuming… but it’s really good to have this data. I must myself commit me again in the task.

2 Likes

With a total processing time of around 20 minutes to fully process a product entry, 2 minutes for weighing the packaging is not significant. (Others probably work faster.)

1 Like

Not quite four weeks, and it’s becoming increasingly clear to me that the effort here isn’t worth it, so I’ll say goodbye at this point.

Why?

When it comes to product entries, which are always incomplete and incorrect, and I don’t even want to talk about the incredibly miserable pictures, I feel like Wall-E is cleaning up all the time.

However, what really bothers me - and this is also visible in this desolate forum - is the impression that I get that those responsible don’t care at all about the project, i.e. the data. There is no other way I can explain why the data is in such a poor state. There is obviously no quality control at all.

Fundamentally, OFF is a project that is to be welcomed, but in the current state in which I have seen it over the last few weeks, committing to it is simply a waste of time.

Hi, @Bartolomeu thank you for your contributions.

It’s true that the forum is not very active, it’s because the most active place is slack.

Data state really depends on the country. We care about data and we have a small team of volunteer that are trying to tackle known problems (#quality-data on slack). But yes, it’s not an easy task and we know we are far from being on par with the challenges. In 2024 we are trying to give more tools to help on this front.

Wish you the best.

Hi,

I help in OFF for some times now and I understand completly your feeling about this impression of always cleaning the data (love the Wall-E comparaison, by the way). But I can testify that a lot have change on this aspect and there is a lot of projects to help (like the “Data Quality Team” that @alex pointed out).

I understand that this feeling is sometime overwelming. It happened to me a few times. Moving on the Slack can help because you will see the great people behind OFF and the projects that we are working on. The discussion on the Slack help me to stay focus on some tasks that can be boring, like correcting errors on nutritionnal values. But this work have great result.

On another subject : thank you for this thread. I corrected some products (I put a like on every post that I checked).

1 Like

I own a Beurer KS 36 and Inateck BCST-53 barcode scanner.
Surface of the KS 36 is sometimes to small for plastic foils and results are up to 0,6 g different, dependent from the placement position on the surface of this kitchen scale.
But most times it is to far away from my PC to maesure packing weights, at least for now, where most basic data for many German NOVA < 4-products are missing.

1 Like