Changing ingredients by commercial user

Hi There,
I just tried to change the ingredients of a product that contains E621 under the name yeast extract. But I can see at the bottom of the page that nestle (the producer/big whale) also has an account and changes the product information regularly. How can that be possible? The producers of these sort of foods try to hide this ingredients as best as possible to its clients and an honest website as this should not be changed by the producers trying to sell us this bad ingredient I would say…
What am I missing? Is it just me?
Kind regards!

Have you a link to the affected product page?

Looks like the mass importer/updater website for commercial users was a bad idea…

See Open Food Facts Knowledge Base - Producers for some of the features it supports, such as this help post. First look at the statistics and then “improve” your products…

Looks like the website could be used to easy mass around in the OFF data. OpenStreetMap for example has hard import guidelines, looks like here imports should be better done also by the community.

or

I don’t know how like my edit will last…

thank you for your reply!

If the ingredient is in the ingredients list (and it is because it is mandatory by law), the analysis done by the server software will extract the right additives.

Hiding could be done (and I’m not even sure about that) in the real world, by using little fonts and making the ingredients list as unnoticeable as possible. It can’t be done, however, on OpenFoodFacts.

Every change done is rollbackable, so no worries. If there is any company that is actually exporting infos and you think they’re wrong please tell us and also give us the proof of that.

The data importable is the data that you can also edit, so ingredients list, nutritional values, etc… Everything that can be found on the packaging of the product (and more).

Taxonomies and calculated values (NutriScore, for example) isn’t something that companies can input, as it is calculated by the server software.

Hi VaiTon,

The thing is, they hide there ingredients by name. Yeast extract is one of the many hidden names for E621. So lets say: if I change the name of an ingredient “Yeast Extract” into “Yeast Extract (E621)” (what it basically is), they will revert it back to hide it from the E621 flags. A user checking the database searches the product, it won’t come out if they search for E621, thus think it is safe, but it actually is not…

Yeast extract is not Monosodium glutamate (E621), but used as a replacement of it, after many people know that E621 together with salt is used to cover up ingredients of poor quality. E621 is used regular in Asia for cooking, but you have to add it after the heating, if you don’t want to get headache.

You are right, the name is different, I did not describe it very well in my last post. There are a lot of sources claiming yeast extract contains E621, but it actually is a tiny bit different… But its more than just a headache what it can give you. It gave me heart palpitations for example, for years! (And no, I am not old, not fat and have no bad food habits)
Its all about the free glutamates it contains, just like E621 does and Vetsin and Mono Sodium Glutamate and more. Free glutamates are not bonded chemical structures and they cause problems. (It is found in 1908 in Japan and was used to get old weak people to eat more - producers use it so you eat more of there products …) Some say these free glutamates can even cause autism (or by blocking it: prevent autismic episodes) and its considered to be a nerve toxin by some scientists. (read John Olneys and Russell Blaylock or watch this Unblind My Mind: What are we eating?: Dr. Katherine Reid at TEDxYouth@GrassValley - YouTube)
Producers claiming E621 are doing us a favour because we can easily recognize it and a lot of people have heard of that. Producers using other names (or other sources of the same compound - you cannot identify the quantity they are using by reading the ingredients list) are fooling us a bit. It might sometimes be a lesser concentration of the stuff but you simply don’t know. (Eating Chinese food gave me far more severe problems than just some extra heartbeats- and we all know they are very generous with there flavour enhancer and use the highly concentrated cheap stuff)
Look I am simply looking out for others. I don’t benefit from pointing out potential “dangers” to other people. I wanted to help, nothing more than that. People just want to see if a product is considered to be safe and I know by experience that this is should not be considered safe or normal.

If there is any scientific agreement on this thing, we can correlate the ingredient name with the additive. It’s just a matter of changing the taxonomies. Please give us the sources of this and I’ll open an issue on GitHub

Hi,

It’s difficult to find as there are politics involved. Lots and lots of opinions don’t make it any easier. These might be good sources for information:

MSG Goes by Many Different Names.

Or check truthinlabeling . org

Kind regards, Esther