Decipher BonArea barcodes (~9900 products as of 2022-04)

Anyone to help decipher BonArea barcodes (~9900 products as of 2022-04)?

These barcodes are 20 digits long, all beginning by 00 and seem to include the price in it (the digits just before the last one). You can find them here: 00xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do they follow a particular standard? 00 could be the Application Identifier of a GS1-128 code, but I’m not sure about it.

Maybe we could extract more data from them.

I changed some barcodes (for ex: Pollo - Bonarea), which were visible in one picture

Well @Marie I don’t understand why you made this change. If you scan the barcode on the picture, with Open Food Facts app you’ll get 00530406700622005439 and not 5304067005431. Now https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/00530406700622005439 is not existing anymore :frowning: .

I’m sorry, I thought you wanted to correct the barcode, which seems to exist under both forms (00 and the other one)

I asked ChatGPT:

Some examples of barcodes that can contain 20 digits are:

Code 128: This is a high-density linear barcode that can encode alphanumeric data, including numbers, letters, and some special characters. It can handle variable-length data, including 20 digits.

ITF-14: This is a type of Interleaved 2 of 5 barcode that is used for labeling cartons, pallets, and other packages. It can encode 14 digits and a check digit, which brings the total to 15 digits. However, it can also be used to encode longer numbers, such as 20 digits, by using an Application Identifier (AI) to indicate the data’s meaning.

Code 39: This is another linear barcode that can encode alphanumeric data, including numbers and some special characters. It can handle variable-length data, including 20 digits.

There are also other types of barcodes that can contain 20 digits, such as EAN-13, UPC-A, and Codabar, but they typically have a fixed length and may not be able to accommodate variable-length data.

So I think it is Code 39. It is a free barcode font, so people don’t have to pay for an EAN-13 code.
There is no normalized structure in this code-39 like EAN : country (2 digits), manufacturer (5 digits), product (5 digits) and check (1 digit to check if the first 12 were entered correctly).