Does FSAAI validate the authenticity of the nutrition info of a product before they offer a license?

I wonder if food manufacturers in India take nutrition labels seriously. Does Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSAAI) validate the authenticity of the nutrition info of a product before they offer a license to the manufacturer? I’ve seen even big brands skipping saturated fat, sugar and salt content.

This semi-cooked parota product has specified all nutrition component values in mg except sugar which is in grams - Parota - Ammamma's easy2cook - 400 g

It appears to be a typo but should such oversight be excused? Can we trust the values on the nutrition labels?

1 Like

Regarding the final question you ask, I can only say that the food industry is always lying and obfuscating, not only in India, but also here in Germany. Even though a lot of things are regulated by law, corporations use every loophole to provide misleading and false information.

1 Like

We have an issue on the topic of adding support for the FSAAI traceability codes:

You’d have to research what the FSAAI number means in terms of checks.
As Bartolomeu mentions, there’s the possibility of fraud (eg: false declaration) but it is rather low due to legal implications.

Producers prefer to write the truth, but in fine print, or obfuscated, rather than risk a lawsuit :slight_smile:

1 Like