Multilingualism is not mature in Discourse. I’m starting this thread to synthesize our options.
There is a plugin which is complex: https://meta.discourse.org/t/multilingual-plugin/142740
His author is writing: This plugin is complex. Getting the backend right(ish) has been a journey, which is not yet complete. Please do not use it in production without testing it in a staging environment first.
Frankly, I would wait for a better integration and support.
Another Discourse user made an interesting synthesis:
From what I’ve gathered there are 3 options for running a multi-language community:
1. Separate sites for every language.
2. Make a category for every language
3. Make a tag for every language
I don’t feel n°1 is a good option. We could start with option 2 or with a mix of 2 and 3:
- category “France” will mainly gather messages in French
- but posts are also allowed in any language (with a tag dedicated to the language)
I think we should list what could be translated to enhance user experience: