Some products cannot be modified. Vendor lock?

So from time to time the modifications I do in the Android app get lost. I’m not sure if this is just one issue or two independent ones.

Front photo vendor lock
The first issue is with the front photo of Carrefour Classic - Choco Rice:
https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/3560070800292

• With the app (4.13.1 on Android 8.0) I can change the front photo but if reverts back to the old one after 2 or 3 seconds.
  • The web site makes it impossible to change the front photo with this explanation:

An image has been sent by the manufacturer. If you think it is incorrect or not up-to-date, please contact us.

• But there is no email address, link to a contact page, forum to post to. Nothing. How am I supposed to contact this “us”?
  • Also the fact that there is no explanation in the app is very frustrating.

Nutrition facts
There are two products for which the nutrition facts are out of date but cannot be changed.

• Carrefour Classic - Choco Rice
    https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/3560070800292
    I was able to modify the Packaging information but it has a vendor lock that prevents me from modifying the front image. There is no message, neither in the app nor on the website explaining why the modifications I send are silently ignored but maybe those are under a vendor lock too?

• Carrefour Selection - Émincés de saumon fumé
    https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/3245411891800
    I did not try to modify the front image but this product also has a vendor lock on that image.
    And just as with the previous product I cannot modify the out-of-date Nutrition Facts.

So what is going on here?
Are these two issues the result from a vendor lock?

I also have a similar problem with the following product:

• Lustucru - Ravioli 4 fromages
    https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/3240931543390
    I do not need to modify the front photo for this product. Instead it is the nutrition facts that is out of date (product bought on 2024-06-10). Again I can modify it with the app but the old photo comes back every time I reload the product.
    And again on the website I cannot modify the photo because of this message:

An image has been sent by the manufacturer. If you think it is incorrect or not up-to-date, please contact us.

Also modifying the product name has no effect, whether in the app or the website. The name currently is " Lustucru selection ravioli 4 fromages 305g" but:

• The “305g” part has no place in the product name since it’s the product weight,
    • “fromages” should have an uppercase “F”, like on the packaging,
    • “selection” should have an accent,
    • but more importantly “selection” is essentially absent from the packaging,
    • and it’s the brand so it is redundant with the brand name field and is typically not repeated in the product name.

At least this time I could update the nutrition facts.

And this illustrates why this is so very confusing and frustrating:

• Carrefour Classic - Choux-Fleurs
    Choux-fleurs en fleurettes - Carrefour - 1 kg
    The Recycling information picture is out-of-date: the missing Triman logo is a dead giveaway. But after adding and selecting a new picture in the Android app it was replaced by the old photo. Checking on the website the product also has the “image sent by the vendor” message… but for other pictures. And now the new picture is taken into account on both the website and the app.
    So the only way to know if the contributed data is actually taken into account is to try and retry and retry again minutes or hours later.

Finally, while all is well for the recycling photo, the Nutrition Facts photo does not match the data in the table (at all), and does not match the information I have on the packaging I have. But the Nutrition Facts photo is, you guess it, locked by the vendor.

And yet another one:

I have wasted hours over this now.

Hi @fgouget I am really sorry about this.

We have a bug but were not capable of tackling it yet: Disable edition of protected data sent by producers in the web product edit form, with explanations · Issue #8282 · openfoodfacts/openfoodfacts-server · GitHub

Your comments are appreciated. I myself can’t fix it right now, but would try to talk to the team about it.

1 Like

Hello @fgouget , thanks for the feedback!
I just deployed a change to the product edit form on the web to make it clear which information comes from the manufacturer, and if it can be modified:

That helps a bit. Hopefully the app will get something similar.

I notice this message at the top of the page:

Information identified by a factory icon has been provided by the manufacturer. It can be changed only by the manufacturer and moderators. If it is out of date or incorrect, please let us know.

How?
People probably won’t even know the forums exist. Is that even the right place?

We’re developing a new moderation platform to let users notify moderators from this kind of issues.

Why you are giving the producers more rights then the normal users?
What if the producers supply wrong/incomplete/out of date data or make their products looking better?
Manufacturers should submit their data to the community, which review them and make the data import, as it is done by OpenStreetMap.
It shoukld be easy to make selective reverts of edits, as with JOSM reverter plugin and moderators only working on reported/auto detected abuse or if really needed (e.g. deleting reported images other then owned by the uploader).
If an email is sent to the moderators for every user revert, as planned at the moment, they sooner or later will receive less emails, if they subcribe to the Linux kernel mailing list.

Hi @fabi2, (sorry for the lag… summer time, etc. )

Yes we give producers more rights on their products (and only theirs) because they are the source of data, even when it’s on packaging (this is different from OpenStreetMap in this regard).

But if some-one is contributing a lot in fixing problems, we can, of course, promote him to moderator (moderators are volunteers, and contributors). So we hope to grow the number of moderators with the feed-back.